June 6, 2010

Is anyone a nurse?

Yes...I think you can guess my story! Last week, I got off work June 2nd, around 8:30pm...it was a long day! I ate my lunch at my nurses station! Anyways, as I was driving home I decided to take Highland Dr and stop at a car wash near 45th south. If you've seen my car lately, it's filthy! I've been waiting for the snow/rain to stop and since I was headed out of town the next day, I decided it was time since it would be covered for the next 5 days. After I washed my car, I had an urge to drive down Highland Dr. to Target in Fort Union for some pleasure shopping. Yet, I then had a feeling I just needed to go home. I didn't need anything for my trip, they were wants, so I turned right and headed down 45th south for home. No more than 50 ft after I turned, I noticed a lot of cars off to the right, a lot of people, and a body lying on the ground! Yes...a body! Ahhh! My expression and feeling exactly! So I quickly pulled off the road, turned my emergency lights on, and ran over to the group of people. I asked them "Is anyone a nurse or medical professional?" "NO," was the reply! Well I guess its just me! Honestly at this moment, fear sat in. This was my first response where I was the only medical professional. "Ahhh!"
Luckily someone was calling 911, allowing me to focus on the victim. He had been on a motorcycle and I'm unsure of the story, but I heard he put his brakes on quick, went over the handlebars, and landed on the pavement. So with that in mind (sorry if this forms a graphic picture in your head, I am a nurse), I looked down at the victim, he appeared to be mid 20's, lying on his stomach, with a pool of blood underneath his face. "Oh my goodness!" Seriously, this is why I don't work in the ER or with adults! I quickly assessed my ABC's! He was breathing, not very concious, but breathing, and quickly my fingers went to his wrist. His pulse was weak but there. Ok, by this time neighbors were bringing blankets to put under his head. At this time he begins to come to and wants to sit up. Between myself and a few other women, we calmed him down but he did turn over to his back. I really didn't want to move him, but he seemed ok doing it himself. As he turned over, he was dripping blood, it was at this time I noticed the back of his head had a quarter sized hole in his skull and the whole left side of his face was covered in blood (road rash). "Oh my gosh!" This was more blood in an uncontrolled setting than I've ever seen! I kept my fingers on his pulse (which is what they teach us in a code situation at the hospital) until the paramedics arrived.
It was interesting to be a part of the whole situation! On arrival, I informed the crew I was a nurse. They asked me questions about his vitals and my assessment. It felt great to contribute what I could, but since I hadn't witnessed the accident I couldn't give anymore information. There was a guy who apparently may have hit him and he seemed a wreck. I felt so bad for him, I can't imagine! That's why I don't know the story because I avoided making him feel worse! The paramedics wrapped the guys head and put him on the stretcher, loaded him up, and off he went! A very scary, blood pumping experience that I hope to not repeat again in my life. I was very glad to have felt the spirit, allowing me to be an instrument in the Lord's hands for this man.

1 comment:

harmony marie said...

Wow, that is crazy, good thing you were there!