April 18, 2011

Backpacking Coyote Gulch!

Coyote Gulch, down in Escalante, UT, is an amazing canyon full of red rock, green trees, and rushing water! A group of 9, including me, headed down April 14th, and after a long 30 mile and very irritating bumpy dirt road (more so for the drivers, which I was 1 of 3), we were at the trail head! Liz Gerke, Justin Rae, Curtis Sorenson, Becca Vikari, Anna Pugliano, Adam Gwyn, Diana Cuadrado, Lauren Eliason, and I had a great time exploring the canyon! The way down into the canyon involved us scaling down a pretty steep face, which I took my pack off and slid down carefully on my bottom; however, the way back out of the canyon was another story. Adam scaled up the rock like a lizard and attached the rope to a tree and then with a ~ 40lb pack on, we pulled ourselves up the face! It was pretty scary, no lie, and I'm not too excited to do it again, but it was an adventure! Our adventures in between these two moments involved kicking, splashing, and enjoying a great hike through the canyon! P.S. most of these amazing pictures were taken by Curtis Sorenson, I wish I did!
My ~ 40-45 lb pack!
Justin...need I say more!
Myself, Justin, and Liz at one of the beautiful falls!
Amazing, right!


Curtis, the picture taker, and Adam in the background!
Adam, Diana, Lauren, Liz, myself, and Justin heading out on the trail to Coyote Gulch!
Enjoying the beauty and sun of the canyon!
Justin running to catch up with us! I love the angle of this picture!
These trees were pretty cool, debris smashed up against the tree, evidence of a previous flash flood!
Natural Bridge!

The group, myself, Liz, Diana, Lauren, Justin, Anna, and Becca!
Lauren up top, and Liz, taken before the descent into the canyon!
Oh Justin, after I took the picture he told me to take a look at it. What a guy! We were almost to camp! Can you see how exhausted Adam looks!
 
Curtis making his way through the currents!
I love the texture Curtis captured in this shot!
Liz and I hiking through the river!
Liz captured in a great moment! I wish I knew what she was smiling about! :)
 
The upward ascent, Justin is trailing behind helping us up the face! The pack suddenly felt much heavier!
Three friends enjoying a beautiful day in Coyote Gulch!

1 comment:

Coleen said...

I'm so glad you got to go! This looks awesome!