August 10, 2011

I'm helping change smiles...in China!

Tuesday, August 9th, at 8:22am, I received a call from Operation Smile based in Norfolk, Virginia asking me if I would like to join their team heading to Kashgar, China! I've had enough PTO saved up for something like this and I didn't have any pressing events to be in Salt Lake for, so I said...Yes! But here's the kicker, we leave this coming Monday, August 15 - Wed. August 24, 2011! It's been a whirlwind of events in just the last day! I spent all day yesterday running errands, filling out forms online, and even booked it to the post office to overnight my Chinese visa documents, passport, and pictures to Virginia so they can take them to the Chinese Embassy on Thursday to obtain my visa. I'm so excited, yet since this has happened so quick I don't think it has really hit me yet! I can't wait for the opportunity to serve the people (children) of China! It will be a great experience!
喀什 (Kāshí) or Kashgar, China is in the Northwest corner, it lies at the crossroads of highways leading to Pakistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan. Beijing, China is on the Northeast side of China. We will arrive in Kashgar on Wednesday, August 17th, perform patient screenings and set up the OR on the 18th, perform surgeries the 19th-22nd and depart Kashgar for Beijing on the 23rd, and arrive home in Salt Lake on August 24th!
 Children of Kashgar, China
 
 
I'll be seeing a little more of this... ;) 
Pic taken in Chinatown, NYC!

4 comments:

Stephanie J. Hoyt said...

Oh my heck!! Crazy! That is so exciting! Can't wait to hear about your adventures in China. Hope everything comes together for it smoothly.

The Holts said...

Alicia!!! This is awesome. I am so excited for you and hope that your experience is as incredible as it sounds. You will bless many lives, I am sure!! Love ya

Amanda said...

So excited for you! It seriously sounds incredible!

Coleen said...

awesome! You are so lucky to have such an experience! I want to hear ALL about it!