January 16, 2011

A sledding and boarding excursion up Emigration Canyon!

Yesterday, my friends and I went up Emigration Canyon to test out Sarah and Jessica's new sled. I was excited because I haven't been able to use my awesome snow tube yet this year! So we all got our gear on and carpooled up to the canyon. Adam Gwyn and Justin Rae brought their snowboards, while Sarah Jolley, Jessica Smith, Zach Hayes, Aspen Anderson, and I sled down the mountain. We had so much fun! We parked one car down at the bottom of the canyon and then sled down. Sadly, my tube only made it one out of two runs! It liked to head towards the trees and I think it caught one. No worries, it will be either repaired or replaced...most likely, replaced!
  
Adam Gwyn going off one of the jumps on his snowboard! Justin shot all the pictures, so sadly there are no pictures of him, but he was amazing snowboarding down the mountain, while holding his expensive camera. Talented!
Sarah holding our rudder, which we tried to use to help us steer our sled, but it was no use! The mountain naturally angled to the right and so that's the way our sleds wanted to go (into the trees), yet our second run we kept heading left (into powder)! Can anyone explain this phenomenon?
I'm headed down a path lined by trees, yet what you can't see is Zach just down the path. I'm saying "Zach...watch out". This was the fatal end of my tube, after I almost hit Zach, I stood up and noticed the tube was no more.
Sarah and Jessica coming down the trail!
And now for the takeout pictures...oh they were great! Sadly Justin didn't have his camera when I began heading down the steep part of the mountain backwards, hit a few jumps and went airborne. I came down and was fearing for my safety! My hat and tube landed about 20 feet up the hill from me, while I landed sprawled out! Yet these pictures all do justice of our crashes! So much fun!
Sarah and I caught up in each other as we tumbled off the sled!
This was the worst one, we just laid there after we rolled and rolled!
I'm beginning to stand up, wow! Sarah is still down, oh man it was a blast!
We're okay! Oh and Sarah still has the rudder, bonus points for her!
Zach and I heading down the hill, we're contemplating bailing out soon cause there was a creek covered in snow up ahead!
Zach and Jessica
Walking down the untrodden path back to the car after a good run!

Justin captured the exact moment of me jumping the creek! I love this picture!
The group starting the second run. Adam is strapping into his board, while we're deciding where the best place is to start on our sleds!
An old car buried in the freshly fallen snow! All credits for the awesome pictures go to Justin, he's amazing with a camera!

1 comment:

Ree-ch said...

love the hat, so jealous we don't have any good hills to sled, let alone any stores that actually sell sleds.
We should try to make some hats like that one.