January 15, 2012

A birthday hike up to a snowless...yet frozen, Donut Falls!

I celebrated my 27th birthday outdoors! My favorite place to be! My friend Noelle Sanchez, whom I work with at the hospital, also had the day off and joined me, which I was very grateful for. We decided to not snow shoe, but hike, since Utah has had one of the driest winters on record. As we neared the falls, we found the hike up them to be icee! We had to carefully cross ice bridges, climb around and up boulders to get to the cave.
Noelle crossing one of the ice bridges. We could hear the water running underneath and in some places see the water through the ice, which was really cool!
Donut Falls, in its frozen glory!
Noelle is debating which way we can climb up. I told her I'd rather not die on my birthday. We had quite the adventure! That huge slab of ice had running water underneath it, it's so interesting!
In front of the entrance to the cave, where the falls fall through a hole in the top of the cave, hence...Donut Falls! On the way down, we found it easier to slide down the icee areas!
Noelle inside the cave.
Noelle acting as if she discovered the cave!
The beautiful scenery we were blessed to enjoy!
No snow! Come on, we need it! I had such a great time with Noelle hiking/sliding Donut Falls! Afterwards, we treated our cooler bodies to warm bowls of tomato basil soup at Zupas! One of my favorite restaurants. Then I headed home to prepare for the Superstitious Party! I had black cats to cut out, a ladder to borrow from the neighbors, umbrellas to open inside the house, and pennies to lay around the house upside down. I love Friday the 13th, especially in January!

No comments: