September 24, 2012

Hiking Timpanogos Peak!

My friend Kelli Arnesen, a friend from nursing school, asked me to hike Mount Timpanogos with her Monday. I had never hiked Timp and so I was thrilled for the opportunity to do so with Kelli. Yet, words of advice, don't hike Timp after running the Dirty Dash 10K race 2 days prior, without training. I'm sore sore sore!
Timp is the second highest mountain in Utah's Wasatch Range. Timp rises to an elevation of 11,749 feet. It is a 14-mile round trip hike with a mile of elevation gain. The fall colors were beautiful and I was excited to take a few pictures!
The weather was forecasted to be 50-60% chance of rain/thunderstorms, so Kelli and I were prepared to turn around before the summit. These clouds hung on the back side of Timp as we continued to climb.
This shack sits by Emerald Lake, Kelli is showing off the luxery of its walls!
Kelli hiking up ahead, preparing to cross the lengthy land of "Mordor", aka rock field! It was so hard to cross and just as difficult to maintain our trail.
View of Provo and Utah Lake from Timpanogos Peak! Luckily for us the clouds cleared giving us a view of the valley.
The shack, marking the summit of Timpanogos Peak. I wanted to cry at this point, seriously! My thighs were so sore, tight and couldn't bare to move upwards any longer. Kelli supplied me with pep talks and slowly but surely I summitted!
Fall colors, so vibrant and beautiful!
The trail coming out to Aspen Grove, so pretty with the yellow leaves!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

So much fun! Thanks for going with me!! Yosemite next year, perhaps?! :)