July 6, 2011

Road trip for July 4th to Lake Havasu, AZ!

Lake Havasu! California borders on the left and Arizona is on the right. The Island can be seen bottom right, and the channel to the right of the island is where the London Bridge was rebuilt.
We left Salt Lake around 6:30am and headed down south on our 8 1/2 hr road trip to Lake Havasu City, AZ! Brynley and her family, one of my best friends from nursing school, recently moved there from Vegas and I figured with it nice, hot weather and I hadn't seen her in nine months, Lake Havasu would be our destination for our road trip over the 4th of July! After driving through Vegas, we noticed signs for Hoover Dam and since we were on a road trip, the dam qualified as a stop!



Liz Gerke, Sarah Jolley, and I on the London Bridge! Behind us is the Bridgewater Channel Canal. Earlier that day, we each rented kayaks and kayaked down Lake Havasu's shores and through the channel. Wow! All I can say is "what an experience", but I really wouldn't care to do it again. I think my mouth was dropped down the entire time. Let's just say, it's a true spring break party area! The channel was lined boat to boat and everyone was drinking. Even if they were in the water, they had a can in their hand, and music was blasting from every boat! I've never seen so many decked out boats that look like they came from "pimp my ride"! No joke, huge mufflers, flames painted on the side, and massive stereo systems! All in all, we had a great time kayaking and would definitely do it again! Our arms had a good workout and even though we drank a lot of water we couldn't keep up with the temp high of 118 degrees F.

Eliza Jane (8 months old and such a cutie), Brynley, myself, the London Bridge, Sarah, and Liz!
London Bridge is a bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona that is based on the 1831 London Bridge that spanned the River Thames in London, England until it was dismantled in 1967. The Arizona bridge is a reinforced concrete structure clad in the original masonry of the 1830s bridge, that was bought by Robert P. McCulloch from the City of London. McCulloch had exterior granite blocks from the original bridge numbered and transported to America, to construct the present bridge in Lake Havasu City, a planned community he established in 1964 on the shore of Lake Havasu. The bridge was completed in 1971 (along with a canal), and links an island in the lake with the main part of Lake Havasu City.
I love this picture! Brynley, Eliza, and Paul! They had a babysitter for the other 3 kids and us adults with Eliza went out to dinner at a really good mexican restaurant! Afterwards we walked the London Bridge and watched the sunset.
London Bridge!

The channel heading north at sunset! I'm standing on the London Bridge, what a beautiful site!
Ok, we had a good laugh at this, especially after the kayaking experience we had going through the channel earlier that day! Gotta love it!
I took some shots of the kids Saturday night, SAM is here playing with his train set he had set up earlier with the babysitter!

I'm sitting with the twins, Lydia on the left and Cosette on the right! I held them in my arms like this two years ago! They were so cute, always wanted to be held or have stories read to them. I'm so glad Liz and Sarah were up for playing with toddlers all weekend because I know the kids loved them! I love my nieces and nephew! The twins also performed a magic trick for us many times over the weekend. They each have the same blanket and yet they look and smell exactly the same. Yet if you try to hand them one, they know the difference and throw it down and grab for the other one. Cosette's has the tag still on it, but she doesn't inspect it for the tag, somehow they just know! Amazing!
What a doll! I've not seen a happier baby in a long time! Miss Eliza Jane! She had a smile on her face all weekend!
And she always had something in her mouth!
The Mosley Family! Eliza, Paul, SAM, Cosette, Brynley, and Lydia! Happy 4th of July!
Aunt Alicia with the family!

1 comment:

Brynley said...

so fun. maybe I should copy your blog post to my blog. Thanks for the info on my new town. when are you coming again?? ;)