April 1, 2014

Hiking Angel's Landing with best friends!

Zion's National Park (view from Angel's Landing)! My friends and I planned this trip a few months back. We were excited for months to camp for a few nights and hike as much as we could for one day. It's hard with all of our schedules and getting work off for 4 nurses. We only had a small time frame to work with. We drove down to Zion's after church on Sunday, March 30th and camped in Watchman's Campground, site F5 for 2 nights. That night, we got in around 8:30p, set up camp with our headlamps, and then got the briquettes ready and cooked pizza sandwiches in these cool sandwich cookers Joy had bought at Walmart. The next morning, I used my dutch oven for the first time, lined with tin foil, we cooked cinnamon rolls for 20 minutes! Perfection! Joy, Lisa, and Amber commented they were better than cooked at home. We then packed our lunches, or Amber did for us, and we drove into the park. Parking was pretty full, but we found a spot on the side of the road and got on the trail early to hike Angel's Landing. Even though I've hiked Angel's Landing many times, it never gets old. The view of the canyon is spectacular and always leaves me in awe of the beauty of God's creation. We ate our lunch on top of the summit, which was pretty windy and cold, causing us to put our jackets back on for the trek down. We then hiked to the middle and upper emerald pools. On coming back to camp that night, we got the briquettes ready once more for tin foil dinners and for our peach cobbler. Yum! I lined my dutch oven once more, dumped in 2 cans of peaches, sprinkled a yellow cake mix over the top, and added 1/2 a can of sprite, cooked for 50 minutes and wala...perfection! We had such a great time! We told stories around the campfire, deep secrets, laughed, and took lots of pictures! These girls are my best friends at work and I am so grateful to have their friendship in my life.

Amber Sherwood, friend and fellow RN co-worker, and I keeping warm while we prepare our morning breakfast of dutch oven cinnamon rolls and oatmeal.

 JoyAnne Clayton and Lisa Nielson waking up!

The girls and I with our perfect, succulent cinnamon rolls cooked in my dutch oven.

JoyAnne and I with the sign warning of a "strenuous climb", "cliff exposure", and "narrow route"!

Selfie!!

Our attempt to do a "newsie" side heel click jump picture at the upper emerald pool, what do you think? I really can do it, just didn't capture it! :)

Me ;)

I love these plants, not sure what they are called, but they make for a great up close texturized photo.

The girls hiking down a narrow area at Angel's Landing.

A beautiful snapshot of indian paintbrush, growing through a crack of sandstone on Angel's Landing.

Zion's Canyon...and me!

Zion's Canyon with indian paintbrush growing on the left side.

Another jumping picture! I don't know why I can't seem to smile, control my arms, and legs all together while jumping. I just can't! :) 


I love this picture! We decided to do a ninja jumping photo! I love that I'm in a sense..."kicking the camera" but my face isn't quite what I wanted it to look like. It's ok, I laugh every time I see this picture!

My tin foil dinner.

Our tents set up in the beauty of Zion's National Park. My favorite thing is driving there in the dark and waking up to the beauty of the red rock and green trees!

My instagram post!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Such cute pictures!! I don't know if I'd be brave enough to hike that again. I was seriously scared. haha

JoyAnne Clayton said...

Haha!! I love that you wrote down all the details from the trip- all things I had forgotten about! (Except you forgot to include that half the trip was spent belting out Disney songs!!) and you ninja kick is the best thing I have ever seen!!