May 18, 2010

Hubble 3D at the IMAX!

Tonight I met up with Eleanor, a friend and previous roommate from BYU! We got dinner at Costa Vida, caught up on life, and then did a little bit of shopping before we went to see Hubble 3D! I couldn't resist an adorable swimsuit at Downeast Basics, and so bought it! You'll just have to see it! Ok so the IMAX movie was awesome! I always knew the Hubble took pictures from space, but I never knew the intensity of what it took to keep the telescope functioning! Leonardo DiCaprio narrates this amazing show, which captures astronauts living in space and their experience of working with the Hubble telescope. I also never knew how big it is, the pictures on the news make it seem small (atleast to me), but they showed it being rolled out of the building it was made in...ginormous! The best part of the movie is being able to wear the sweet 3D glasses! They make a fashion statement!

The Hubble from space, looking down on Earth!

They described this as a star dying, the butterfly wings is the gas and heat shooting out at a very fast speed from the heart of the dying star! Wow! I love that we are able to capture these moments with technology!

I'm not sure what this is, but it's beautiful! I think it's a nebula! I looked up nebula on Wikipedia, and it describes them as star-forming regions! Cool!

These are the "Pillars of Creation" from the Eagle Nebula. Yet to me it looks like the middle one is giving the right one a back massage! :)

No comments: