May 8, 2010

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 2010

What a race! It was a blast! There were over 16,659 participants showing their true color...PINK! Even the men "manned up" by wearing PINK shirts, bandanas, hats, capes, and bras (no really!). The event raised over $213,772.23 for breast cancer research! Amazing! My friend Amanda and I ran, yet they didn't time it but we think we got somewhere between 25-27 minutes! The race started at 3rd W and North Temple in downtown SLC, went up to 9th N, curved to the left and came back down 2nd W to end at the Gateway Shopping Center. As we ran into Gateway, there were people lining the shops cheering us on, yet it wasn't too far into the center that the race ended and Amanda and I looked at each other and said "that was it"! I guess that's a good feeling, we could've gone more!

A map of the 5K through downtown SLC!

Pre-race! We had fun checking out the groups of people running for family members, friends, and loved ones! We spotted some pretty funny people...check them out below!

Now this group is just cute!
5 minutes to race time! FM100 was there playing music and getting the runners warmed up! Ok I have to say that when they mailed me my shirt and number, I thought "wow, how was I so lucky to get the bib #2010"...and then Amanda informed me she had the same bib #. All 16,659 participants had the bib #2010! Haha! :)

Now you may not be able to see the massive street filled of runners in the distance, but it was quite a sight to behold!

Look who we found after the race...Ronald McDonald! Sweet!

Ok this was one of our favorite groups of people...showing their SUPPORT!

And this guy was only wearing those shoes, cape, and the fancy PINK "whatever it is"! Luckily we weren't able to get a picture of his front side, blessing!

And our highlight after the race...the free giveaways! I know you're jealous of the hats! We also got coupons for free loaves of bread from Great Harvest, creamies, Fuze drinks, fruit, yogurt, flower seeds, bandanas, apple slices and caramel, and fruit! Amanda and I were all about the giveaways!

2 comments:

The Holts said...

Hi Alicia!! How are YOU?? It looks like you have been involved with some wonderful things as of late. Congrats on the upcoming marathon in October. PLEASE, please stop by and see me!! I am super close to the freeway. Cute nurse's day picture! love ya

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun and good luck with the marathon!