June 1, 2011

Hiking one of the seven natural wonders of the world...the Grand Canyon!

The Grand Canyon! I love this place! This year marked my fourth time hiking this natural wonder! I can't wait to come back again! This year we hiked it a little different since we didn't have a driver, which is required if you want to hike the south rim to the north rim. Instead, this year we started at the north rim Kaibab trail and hiked down to the Cottonwoods. My brother, dad, uncle Jeff, and I went on to Ribbon Falls, which is another 1.5 miles. Total our round trip back to the north rim was 17 miles! And I'm feeling it, two mornings after I have slight soreness in my calves and buttocks! Yeah! I love the feeling of a good workout! My mom and aunt LuAnn also hiked it with us but didn't join us to Ribbon Falls! Bryce and I caught up with them on the way back and had a great time hiking up the steep switchbacks with them!
Bryce at the beginning of the north Kaibab trail
A beautiful morning on the North Rim! We were so blessed, just the day before, the bottom of the canyon and the top experienced 55 mph winds. We stayed in our log hotel/cabin to take shelter from the ridiculous weather! I was so glad to see the sun and feel not much wind for our hike on Monday!
These weird trees, the skinny ones with the twist on top always remind me of a tree out of a Dr. Seuss book! I love them!
I love my dad! He's so cute. He bought this booklet that has all the flowers categorized and named in it. He's like Kronk, in The Emperor's New Groove, where he found each flower he came upon in his book and told us all its name!
The water in the canyon was raging! I love the sounds of the rushing water as it echoes in the canyon!
I was lucky to be able to catch this little guy before he slithered off!
Simply beautiful!
Bryce hiking in front of me on our way to Ribbon Falls!
Dad, Bryce, and I on the backside of Ribbon Falls! It is such a peaceful place! I'd love to capture a few moments alone back there someday and just listen to the water drip off the moss and grass as it flows down the rocks in the river below!
Ribbon Falls! Surprisingly it was my first time at the falls! We've always been too rushed for time to go before. I won't miss it again!
I got a kick out of this sign! "This yard is not a toilet!" Bryce of course had me take a picture of him in the action of using it as a toilet! :)
Catching a few cashews in his mouth!
The meadow of the Grand Canyon! I love the diverse plants the canyon offers. There are not many places you can have spectacular waterfalls, pools, moss, green grass, and meadows all within a desert climate!
Hiking back from Ribbon Falls, this is the valley floor, coming up is the Cottonwoods. The Cottonwoods is one of our favorite rest stops because we know we are getting close to our ascent up and out!
The trail leading to the Cottonwoods. I turned around on our way back from Ribbon Falls! I love the mix of the green, the water, and the shade casting over the trail!
My attempt to be artistic with an up close shot of the rock wall next to the trail. I think it turned out pretty cool!
I caught these vibrant shades of green on our way back up to the north rim. I love the contrast against the red rock!
 My mom and aunt LuAnn hiking up the north Kaibab trail, we were getting tired, so we told ourselves, one step at a time!
Indian paintbrush!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Beautiful pictures Alicia! I seriously want to do this hike one of these days!!